Tuesday, November 25, 2008

The One Where I Confess ...

I'm starting to feel like something is wrong with me as a member of the literate female society.

First, it was Jane Austen. I've tried half a dozen times to read Jane Austen and while I love the strong-willed heroines of her novels, I really, really, really don't like reading them. I've seen the movies (other than the epic length A&E P&P - too long for something I didn't even enjoy the short version of). I didn't like them either.

It's not that it is 19th Century lit - my two favorite books of all time are Les Miserables and Huck Finn and both were written in the 1800s. It's not that it is chick lit (classic or otherwise) - there are a few Sophie Kinsella novels I will admit have given me guilty pleasure once in awhile. It's not that it's classic literature - again, look at my two favorite books (and the fact that I actually like Tolstoy, Shakespeare, Dante, etc.). I'm not sure what it is. Even though I plan on trying again someday, I just cannot seem to make myself like Jane Austen. (Much like the fact that while I keep trying Ahi Tuna steak - I cannot make myself like it. I love the concept of it, it's just the eating part that gets in the way.)

With all that, I was already feeling a bit outcast from the "literate females of the world unite!" clique, but lately, I'm feeling even more outside the bounds of literate femininity.

I don't plan on seeing Twilight. Or, even finishing the series. Unless things change drastically and soon.

I did eagerly read the first book - and it was good in a 'nothing else to read, breezy, easy, done in a few hours' kind of way. I was mildly annoyed that it didn't wrap things up, but not enough to stand in line for Book 2 (No, I can't remember the title. Yes, it does in fact make me lazy). In fact, I never got around to reading the rest of the series.

When my mom called a few weeks ago asking me if I'd like to listen to Book 2 on CD, I said, "Sure, why not?" After all, I listen to books on CD while cleaning and heaven knows my house needs cleaning. I even caught myself thinking this would at least potentially redeem me in the world of chick lit (not that I am confusing Stephanie Meyer's writing skills with Jane Austen's - even I recognize that would be a cardinal sin). I could at least hold a conversation with a girl/woman between 12 and 40 who had read it. Feel like a part of society. (Besides, everyone else is doing it!)

Except, I don't actually like Book 2. In fact, it is grating on my nerves so much that I can barely tolerate it. The whining. The self-entitlement. The sheer oddness of the whole thing. Not to mention the plot. Maybe it's the mother in me - the wanting to reach out and shake Bella and say, "Good grief. The world doesn't revolve around you!"

Like my aversion to Austen, I can't exactly explain why I don't like series. To be certain, many times I just need a book to entertain me. It doesn't have to be realistic. It can be rather far-fetched. This is, after all, coming from someone who unabashedly loves the Mrs. Pollifax series and has read every single one - more than once. Those are certainly far-fetched and terribly unrealistic. Yet, at least the characters are entertaining. Mrs. Pollifax is, in fact, quite charming. It's just not very entertaining to be cringing and rolling one's eyes through an entire book like I am through this one.

I'm not sure if I am more disatissfied with the book or with the fact that I feel like something must be wrong with me as a woman who likes to read. If I can't identify with Elizabeth or Emma (or even Mr. Darcy, as unlikely as that would be) on one end or Bella and Edward and Jacob on another end ... what does that say?
How can I not like Jane Austen novels (on one, classic end of the spectrum) OR Twilight (on the other, modern chick lit end of the spectrum)?

One or the other, fine, a woman is entitled her selectiveness and tastes. But both?

Clearly something must be wrong with me.

9 comments:

Julia said...

It is because you are a bluestocking that you hate Twilight. Twilight barely qualifies as English, it is so poorly written. Stephanie Meyers' heinous writing aside, there's certainly nothing wrong with you in expecting more out of literature. As for Ms. Austen... she just doesn't speak your language. She prefers feelings; you prefer provocative thoughts. I resisted reading her for three-and-a-half decades. (I didn't even watch any BBC interpretations of her novels.) But be careful of the next decade of your life--you may end up trying to read her again and finding yourself feeling smug at her wit. There are certainly many women who are proud to dislike Austen and despise Austen. (Like me!)

Julia said...

Oops. I mean despise Meyers. (See--I don't even consider her a word in the English language!)

Unknown said...

Twilight is the teenage fantasy version of The DaVinci Code in my mind. It's an interesting enough story, but reading it is like reading a mentally retarded monkey's fourth grade homework. You try to struggle through, because you think it is a good effort, but in the end...no cigar.

Stefanie said...

I love, Love, LOVE Mrs. Pollifax. I too have read them all. (But I have to confess I didn't like the Lion Killer book. Someone with giant razor claws strapped to their hands chasing an old lady through the jungle was a little too much for me.) So we can get together and have an intelligent literate-female (not necessarily realistic) conversation any old time you like. :)

Sara said...

Julie you hit the nail on the head, I believe: "She prefers feelings; you prefer provocative thoughts."

Stef, yeah, I wasn't terribly fond of the Lion Killer one either. The woman who narrates the Mrs. Pollifax books on CD is excellent and made them almost like reading new books again when I listened to them!

fiona said...

I haven't read the Twilight series either, and the movie doesn't interest me. Not saying I won't see it at some point, but it's so not a priority. I think I'm going to give the series a shot in the near future, and so many people who I would have thought WOULDN'T like it, do, which makes me think I just might... I do like Jane Austen. And Tolstoy. And I'm thinking I need to give this Mrs. Pollifax a try, as well...

Sara said...

Definitely try Mrs. Pollifax - they're an easy, enjoyable read about a grandmother/spy.

Heidi Totten said...

After reading all five Meyers' books (I read "The Host" this week) I would say that there is no reason for you to continue with the Twilight series. The best book of the Twlight series IS Twilight. I have never ever read books as slow and full of wincing, grimacing, and pained expressions. It got to the point where I thought, "Really? I can't even picture what she is trying to describe!"

Funny though - I liked Bella in the movie because you didn't have to read her every annoying thought.

Me said...

I don't like Jane Austen, either. :) But strip the vampires from the Twilight series and all you have is just another lame high school romance. And it's written about as well.